Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hey Mambo, Mambo Italiano!

Is that how the song goes? I think so, but what do I know.

I started this blog because I am absolutely obsessed with the blog Eat, Live, Run. You can view and obsess about here: http://eatliverun.com/
Join me, won't you. Later we can form a support group.

I certainly am not going to do a food blog, but just this once, humor me. Last night I made Eggplant Rollitini. I'm pretty sure that is not the correct term, but in my house if i cook it, I will name it whatever I want to.

Here is the visual goodness:

You need marinara sauce. This is a good one.


You need Mozzarella, don't get the kind in a bag that is pre-shredded. Shredding your own tastes so much better and fresher, plus it's a good arm workout. I like multitasking.
there is no substitution for this...deli ham will not do!
This is technically optional, but not really.
filling: ricotta, spinach, lemon juice, mozzarella, salt and pepper and........
parmigiano-reggiano (don't you dare even think about using the kind in the can with the green lid) 
justa likea thisa (my Italian accent)... now get yur stir on.
So here is the eggplant peeled and sliced. Egg then Panko (you can use breadcrumbs). I add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and cornstarch to my panko for extra flavor and crispiness. 
Here you have the eggplant frying in veggie oil until browned on both sides...this is also a great way to fragrance your home with that  "Mom, what are we having for supper?!" scent.
Drain excess oil from eggplant on paper towels, then slather with ricotta mixture.
Add prosciutto then roll it up!
Stick it with a toothpick.


 Now everybody make friends with each other.


 Add sauce and cheese and get ready for this!


SUCCESS.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    You're so cute. Can I join that support group for ERL addicts??

    How much work was it to take all the pics and post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha not too much work. I am really self-absorbed so it was enjoyable ;)

    ReplyDelete